Can Coal Make a Comeback?
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Pulitzer Hall World Room
The decline in US coal mining played a prominent role in the 2016 US presidential campaign. Donald Trump repeatedly promised to revive the US coal industry and bring back mining employment by removing environmental regulations. President Trump has reiterated these promises since the election. But can coal make a comeback?
A forthcoming paper by the Center on Global Energy Policy, co-authored by Trevor Houser, Jason Bordoff and Peter Marsters, addresses this question. The Centr hosted a brief presentation of the paper, and held a panel discussion with the following experts:
- Jim Rogers, Former President, CEO and Chairman, Duke Energy
- Dr. Geoff Heal, Donald C. Waite III Professor of Social Enterprise, Columbia Business School
- Trevor Houser, Partner, Rhodium Group
- Jason Bordoff, Professor of Practice in International and Public Affairs, SIPA; Director, Center on Global Energy Policy
- Peter Marsters, Research Analyst, Rhodium Group