On Thursday, April 19, 2018, CGEP celebrated its 5th anniversary and hosted the annual Columbia Global Energy Summit.
The half-day forum included keynote remarks, interviews and plenary conversations with senior energy sector leaders focused on key issues and questions at the intersection of energy policy, financial markets, the environment and geopolitics.
12:30pm: Welcome remarks
Speaker: Merit Janow, Dean, SIPA
12:35pm: Opening remarks
Speaker: Jason Bordoff, Founding Director, CGEP
12:40pm: Keynote conversation
1:15pm: Panel Discussion – Climate change: What’s next on technology and policy?
- Cameron Hepburn, Professor of Environmental Economics, University of Oxford
- Jeannette Wing, Avanessians Director of the Data Science Institute and Professor of Computer Science, Columbia University
- George David Banks, Former Special Assistant to President Trump for International Energy and Environment
- Tom Werner, President and CEO, Sun Power
- Ruth DeFries, Denning University Professor of Sustainable Development, Columbia University
Moderator: David Sandalow, Inaugural Fellow, CGEP
2:10pm Panel discussion – Global Energy Outlook
- Fu Chengyu, Former Chairman of SINOPEC and CNOOC, Member of UN global compact board, Chairman of UNGC Network China
- Matt Harris, Founding Partner, Global Infrastructure Partners
- Avril Haines, Senior Researcher for Columbia World Projects, former US Deputy NSA and US Deputy CIA Director
- Ajay Mathur, Director General, The Energy and Resources Institute
- John McCarrick, Acting Special Envoy and Coordinator for International Energy Affairs, Bureau of Energy Resources, US Department of State
Moderator: Jonathan Elkind, Sr. Research Scholar, CGEP
3:20pm: Keynote conversation
4:00pm: Panel discussion - US Energy Markets in Transition
- Charif Souki, Chairman of the Board, Tellurian Inc.
- Peter Kagan, Managing Director, Warburg Pincus LLC
- Scott Sheffield, Chairman of the Board, Pioneer Natural Resources
- Amy Jaffe, David M. Rubenstein senior fellow for energy and the environment and director of the Energy Security and Climate Change program, Council on Foreign Relations; Chair of CGEP Women in Energy Steering Committee
- Dan Yergin, Vice Chairman, IHS-Markit
Moderator: Mona Sutphen, Partner, Macro Advisory Partners; Former Deputy White House Chief of Staff
4:55: Keynote conversation